Lisa Wehr's Public Health Blog

Lisa is originally from Sigourney, Iowa. She attended Iowa State University and received her bachelor’s degree in Music in 2010. She is currently a first year Master’s of Public Health (MPH) student in community and behavioral health (CBH). Lisa works on the medicine-psychiatry unit at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (UIHC). Through this blog Lisa hopes to let people learn about the CBH department.

This student blog is unedited and does not necessarily reflect the views of the College of Public Health or the University of Iowa.

22 March 2012

Good Reads

It's been a busier semester than I anticipated. It's scary to think how close I am getting to being done with my MPH degree!

Here are a few good reads I have stumbled upon recently and wanted to share with you all.

First, although it is written from the perspective of a physician, I think it is extremely important for any professional who works with obesity or any disease, really. We should always be thinking of the patient's perceptions and experiences.  "Defective" and the closely related "Shame" (by the same author).

From the same author (I'm a bit of a fan)...another great piece on how he talks with patients about confusing statements that come up in the popular media (like, "I can't drink milk, casein causes cancer!" or near and dear to public health "I haven't had a flu shot for 50 years and I'm not dead). Read "Buckle Up"

No comments:

Post a Comment