Lisa Wehr's Public Health Blog

Lisa is originally from Sigourney, Iowa. She attended Iowa State University and received her bachelor’s degree in Music in 2010. She is currently a first year Master’s of Public Health (MPH) student in community and behavioral health (CBH). Lisa works on the medicine-psychiatry unit at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (UIHC). Through this blog Lisa hopes to let people learn about the CBH department.

This student blog is unedited and does not necessarily reflect the views of the College of Public Health or the University of Iowa.

07 May 2012

Semester Wrap-up

Another semester in the books. Before I get too deep into my week of celebration I wanted to write a quick post. Don't worry, I took a nap and checked twitter before I came back to work on this.
Honestly, this has been one of the best semesters in my life-grad or undergrad. This semester I really grew into my own as a student and a public health professional. I practice "fake it until you make it." I haven't necessarily been faking it in the sense that I haven't done things, but I have certainly faked my confidence. This semester I finally felt confident in my ability to read, write, synthesize ideas, and work as a professional. It's a great feeling and it has me really excited to get to work on my practicum soon.
I have a couple friends considering the MPH program and my response is that I wouldn't trade these two years for anything. I realize that it's probably not the right program for everyone, but it was a perfect fit for me. I love the subject, I loved my classes, and I love the people in the department. I have said that I will never look at people the same way again. I will never look at a "frequent-flier" on the psych unit and blame them for not understanding that taking meds is a necessity to staying healthy. I now look at all the other factors involved--can they afford their prescriptions, do they have the ability to go to follow-up appointments, do they know how to take all their meds?
Technically, I'm here for another semester as I will be doing my practicum this summer, but I still wanted to show some appreciation to the program that has helped me grow so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment