Lisa Wehr's Public Health Blog

Lisa is originally from Sigourney, Iowa. She attended Iowa State University and received her bachelor’s degree in Music in 2010. She is currently a first year Master’s of Public Health (MPH) student in community and behavioral health (CBH). Lisa works on the medicine-psychiatry unit at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (UIHC). Through this blog Lisa hopes to let people learn about the CBH department.

This student blog is unedited and does not necessarily reflect the views of the College of Public Health or the University of Iowa.

01 November 2010

Fall in Iowa

I have determined that fall and spring are my two favorite seasons...though I'm not sure which one ultimately wins. But I appreciated this week how truly beautiful fall in Iowa is.




 The leaves change colors. Lawns are covered in a beautiful carpet of reds and golds and browns and yellows. (Rest assured, when I have my own yard, I will be one of those people who doesn't rake) I love the earthy tones of the whole season.





 And those rich colors blend perfectly with the rich scents that are so inextricably linked with fall. Pumpkin, apples, cinnamon. Speaking of pumpkin, I love all things pumpkin: pumpkin yogurt, pumpkin bread, pumpkin pudding, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin lattes, pumpkin cookies (oddly enough I'm not a huge fan of pumpkin pie).



 I think part of what makes it so enjoyable is that it juxtaposes the best characteristics of summer and winter to create a delightful season that is so very distinct. Fall is the time I can sit in the sun and be very warm, but a cool breeze plays over my skin and makes it a perfect temperature. The best clothes of winter (scarves, sweatshirts, hats) can be worn without the bulkiness that comes with multiple layers in winter. The mornings are chilly with frost but the afternoons are nice enough to wear a t-shirt.



 People are out. Running, visiting parks, raking leaves, grieving the end of summer, relishing the final warm days, and taking it all in before the bitter cold of winter arrives. The final crop is harvested from the garden, dead plants are pulled up and composted, and the soil is readied for its time of rest.


When I wake up in the morning it's chilly enough that I adore the warm comforter on my bed, but stepping out on the bare floor is not painful.


I often feel like people are so disconnected from the earth (at least compared to my rural upbringing), but it seems that a greater number of people are closer to nature during the fall.


 I do believe we have some of the best weather in Iowa. Spring and fall are amazing (so I might be a little biased...), summer is warm, and winter is cold, but not incredibly long. We have all four seasons, each quite distinct, and none of them dominate.


In February I will be questioning my sanity in not moving south when I had the chance. As much as I dislike the chill of winter, I wouldn't give it up for the world because it is part of what makes fall so enjoyable. And these are the days that remind my why I love Iowa so very much.


And though my dread of the coming cold can sometimes affect my enjoyment of fall, I just remind myself to take each day as it is, to step on all the crunchy pieces, breathe in the earthy smells, roll in the grass with my dog, and fully appreciate it all.




~L

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisa.

    I recently started a blog, http://bonegap.blogspot.com/.

    I bought a box of old photos here in Phoenix Arizona. The bulk of the photos and news clippings are from Iowa.

    One of my first projects concerns a newspaper article about a man by the name of James Wehr, son of Mr. and Mrs, E. S. Wehr, winning a scholarship at SUI. The president then was Virgil Hancher, the clipping is from about 1950.

    Are you a relative?

    There are five children in the photo too; Jimmy, Tommy, Regina, Genessa and Christine.

    Lane

    ReplyDelete