Lisa Wehr's Public Health Blog

Lisa is originally from Sigourney, Iowa. She attended Iowa State University and received her bachelor’s degree in Music in 2010. She is currently a first year Master’s of Public Health (MPH) student in community and behavioral health (CBH). Lisa works on the medicine-psychiatry unit at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (UIHC). Through this blog Lisa hopes to let people learn about the CBH department.

This student blog is unedited and does not necessarily reflect the views of the College of Public Health or the University of Iowa.

14 October 2011

Environment and Health

This is an extremely random post of only slightly related thoughts. My only excuse is that it's a Friday.

The environment plays an interesting role in my life. I could go on for hours about the topic. My interest in the environment really enhanced (maybe even resulted in) my interest in food, environmenalt health, and other public health topics. This video isn't related to health, but it's about the environment and definitely one of my absolute favorites. You should all watch it. Right now. Seriously.

Mr. W


heehee. It never fails to make me laugh. And to think that Germans are unfairly accused of being humorless.


Also...the topic of environment constitutes my first academic "contact" with public health (and specifically public health at the University of Iowa). I attended the Environmental Health Sciences Institute for Rural Health (EHSI) from the Environmental Health Sciences Research Center (EHSRC) in 2004. The two people I distinctly remember from that are David Osterberg and Peter Thorne (two college of public health faculty). And my final project was on antibiotic use in animals. I wish I could say it was a defining moment in my public health interest, but I honestly have no memory of any defining moments in my public health interest.

And if you really want to see another video only marginally related to health (via my convoluted logic) watch this parody of all the communication campaigns.

The first minute never fails to make me laugh. After that I just lack Star Wars knowledge. (In full disclosure the only Star Wars I have ever watched is the Family Guy version.)

And one final bit of random:
Is there a standard height for couches and other furniture? Every couch I have ever owned has been just high enough for tennis balls to slip under. Like this.
Every week or so I have to do a dog toy "rescue mission." This was last night's haul (with the accompanying dust bunnies)
And in case you were wondering, those really are paint rollers in the picture. What can I say? Zef's a cheap date. And literally 5 minutes after I took this picture another tennis ball succumbed to the couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment