Lisa Wehr's Public Health Blog

Lisa is originally from Sigourney, Iowa. She attended Iowa State University and received her bachelor’s degree in Music in 2010. She is currently a first year Master’s of Public Health (MPH) student in community and behavioral health (CBH). Lisa works on the medicine-psychiatry unit at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (UIHC). Through this blog Lisa hopes to let people learn about the CBH department.

This student blog is unedited and does not necessarily reflect the views of the College of Public Health or the University of Iowa.

05 October 2011

Wednesday

Another typical day at school.

Environmental Health lecture about workplace health.

Then it was Designing and Implementing Interventions. We discussed the application of theory in designing health interventions and then each student discussed the theory/theories they intended to use for the intervention that is our semester project.

The more I write the more I wish I had taken a technical writing course at some point. Don't get me wrong, I manage, but having more background experience would be nice at times. I've been browsing the open courseware at MIT and found the materials for both a general scientific/technical writing class and one specifically focused on medicine and public health. When I get some time I'm going to look into what's available on them. But unfortunately I know that looking through online class materials will never be as good as getting critique from an instructor.

Tomorrow we have an early journal club and then I'm headed down to Sigourney for the afternoon. As part of my Communicating with the Community class I have to interview "key stakeholders" for my project. Tomorrow I'm interviewing a primary care provider. Tonight was spent revising my interview guide in preparation.

And on a side note: I made my own butter! It's pretty easy and it tastes absolutely heavenly. This plays into my mild obsession with "real food" Real food is a term coined by Michael Pollan. Here is a brief article explaining it, if you want something more in depth I would suggest reading his book In Defense of Food.

No comments:

Post a Comment